St Andrews Scotland

What do you thank God for?

Sunday, November 14, 2004

Daily Reflection

Hi.

Today is Sunday. I have not left my home the whole day. It has been a long time since i've done that on a Sunday. Or any day for that matter. I wasn't allowed to go to church today. Well they were valid reasons. If you didn't already know what the reason was, it was cos i had to study. Not as if i actually did much today. Haha.

I was expecting to wake up at around 12, considering the real tiring day i had at church yesterday. However, for some unknown reason, i awoke at the inhumane hour of 7. Anyway, i managed to get out of my bed (actually my parent's.They're overseas u see. shh) at 12. Made lunch. Tim came over at around 1 thirty. Slacked till 4 thirty, then he left.

I wouldnt consider the day an unproductive one though, even though i only did 20 physics mcq questions. Well in that 3 hours that Tim was over, i just felt that connection. Not like those lovey dovey chemistry type of connections. But just, u know. Buddies. Maybe more than buddies. More like Brothers. You know how sometimes u can spend a whole day doing something fun, say playing volleyball at sentosa, with someone, and at the end of the day, still barely know the person? And sometimes, u spend an hour with someone sitting on a MRT going home together, and feel as if that person was your closest friend.

Yesterday, Pastor Ulf said something about being alone. He said that he loved being alone. I too, sometimes love to be alone. Sometimes, after an outing or an event, i'd just want to go home by myself. Not because i don't like my friends of whatsoever, but just because of the plain reason of me liking to be alone. I love taking the bus home at night, listening to my ipod and gazing out the window. It's times like these where i get to think about everything thats happening around me. To recall the events that took place in the day and laugh, regret or even feel embarrassed about. I love being alone also for another reason, the fact that i am never really alone. Pastor said that when you're in Christ, you are never alone. Isn't that Cool? I love to be alone, because i never really am. I'm alone with God!

Pastor also said something about calling. Many people think that a calling is given to only special selected individuals. Well, Pastor said that everyone was called! I think both are correct. Everyone is called, and therefore every one is a special selected individual. The important part is finding out what your calling is, and being it. It's not about doing what He wants you to do, but being who He wants you to be. I felt that yesterday's sermon was directed straight at me. What is my calling? I had a vague idea once, but now i'm not too sure. What if it is a mistake? Will i totally miss what God has in store for me?

The heart of Christianity is about transformation-about a God who isn't just concerned with our "spiritual lives," but who wants to impact every aspect of living. It's realizing that God meets us not in a monastery but on Main Street, and that all of everyday life has the potential to be lived as if Jesus himself were the one living it.

Got that from a book by John Ortberg, [The Life You've Always Wanted]. I'm going to finish it after my exams. Well, i'll stop here.

=)


@ 8:08 PM